The iSelect Gold Coast Titans have today rallied in support of The Smith Family Christmas Appeal, urging members and fans to help bring a smile to a disadvantage child’s face this Christmas.
The iSelect Titans are getting behind The Smith Family’s annual Toy & Book Appeal by setting up a designated collection point for donated presents at this Saturday’s Titans Members Christmas party at the Broadwater Parklands, Southport.
The club will also donate a range of merchandise and footballs towards the appeal.
iSelect Titans fans who are not members can also take part in the Christmas Appeal by purchasing a new toy or book online or making a donation via the Smith Family website www.thesmithfamily.com.au
iSelect Titans fullback William Zillman (pictured) today urged members and fans to get into the Christmas spirit by donating towards the appeal.
“It’s a great cause looking out for kids less fortunate than ourselves so for us at the Titans, we really urge all the members to bring out a present, a book or a toy, or something that these kids can use and it would be greatly appreciated,’’ said Zillman.
“Growing up in the households that we’ve probably grown up in, it’s hard to imagine going through Christmas without receiving presents so my heart goes out to them as I’m sure the whole club’s does so if this is some small way where we can help, we’re more than happy to do it.’’
The Smith Family spokesperson Emily Gavranich said the organisation was thankful for the support of the Titans and the club’s fans.
“It’s absolutely fantastic and we’d like to thank the Titans for their support through their Members Christmas Party this Saturday,’’ she said.
“In Queensland we deliver over 1000 families toy and book packs and then as part of our Christmas appeal, we’re hoping to raise $547,000 in Queensland for a target of $4.6 Million across Australia.
“We ask for presents aged from 0-12 years and something that’s fun, active and long lasting for kids especially over the holidays. We’re finding that there’s a shortfall for boys and girls presents aged 9-12 years so if you’re thinking of donating that would be fantastic for those years.’’
HOW TITANS MEMBERS & FANS CAN HELP:
• Purchase a new toy or book and visit the friendly staff and volunteers of The Smith Family at the Members' Christmas Party at the Broadwater Parklands, Southport on Saturday 15 December OR;
• Purchase a new toy or book online via the Simply Giving website. These gifts will be delivered directly to The Smith Family OR;
• Make a donation via The Smith Family website and choose 'Toy and Book Appeal' in the donation type
* Please note that the club will not be collecting toys and books at Titans HQ, please ensure that gifts are brought along to the Members’ Christmas Party.
• All gifts received must not be wrapped
• All toys should be no bigger than a school backpack
• Please ensure batteries are included if they are required to operate the toy
The Smith Family has a long and proud association with Christmas. The organisation was founded in 1922 when five businessmen decided to deliver toys to orphans on Christmas Eve.
The Smith Family's Toy & Book Appeal aims to help bring a smile to a disadvantaged child's face this Christmas. Sadly, thousands of Aussie kids will go without receiving a gift this holiday season simply because their families can't afford it. This year, The Smith Family aims to deliver over 43,500 new toys and 29,000 new books to children in need around Australia.