Two country junior Rugby League clubs have sold the major prizes in the 2012 Toyota Monster Raffle while raising much-needed funds in an NRL initiative that has now delivered more than $2 million for grass-roots clubs in six years.
Ballina Seagulls Junior Rugby League in northern New South Wales and Childers Junior Rugby League Club in south-east Queensland were among 144 clubs from NSW, QLD and Victoria to sell tickets in the 2012 Toyota Monster Raffle.
The major prize-winners - Ballina’s Peta-Marie Spencer and Ray Sutter from Childers - have accepted the keys to their Toyota vehicles at half-time of the Toyota Cup Grand Final as part of the on-field entertainment at the 2012 NRL Telstra Premiership Grand Final Day at ANZ Stadium.
The Toyota Monster Raffle, with a prize pool of more than $90,000, offers far-reaching benefits to grass-roots Rugby League.
It is an initiative that enables junior clubs nationwide to raise money without having to undertake labour-intensive fund-raising methods which often have minimal return.
NRL General Manager of Community, Culture and Diversity, Ms Trish Crews, said: “It's fantastic to see so many grass-roots clubs continue to benefit from the Monster Raffle each year.
“It's a very simple concept and we are extremely lucky to have such great support from a sponsor like Toyota.
“To have two cars to give away this year of the calibre of the Toyota HiLux and the Toyota Kruger has given even more credibility to the concept. Congratulations to every winner!”
Toyota Regional Manager, Eastern Region, Mr Bernie Smith, said the Monster Raffle, is an important grass-roots Rugby League initiative which Toyota has supported for the past three years as Official Partner.
“Toyota is committed to helping make a difference in the community and the Toyota Monster Raffle is a fantastic way to show our very real support for grass-roots Rugby League communities across the country.
“Congratulations to all the winners, including the two major prize winners who take home a Toyota Kluger and a Toyota HiLux, and also a big thank you to everyone for taking part and doing their bit for grass-roots Rugby League.”
The 13 winners to share in the prize pool of over $90,000 include:
• Toyota Kluger - Peta-Marie Spencer from Ballina NSW
• Toyota HiLux - Ray Sutter from Childers QLD
• 2013 Rugby League experience – Paul Davey, Gympie, QLD
• 2013 Premium NRL Membership – Stewart Michelmore, Emerald, QLD
• Byron at Byron Holiday – Helena Parfitt, Warwick, QLD
• $1000 worth of merchandise – details TBC
• $1000 Harvey Norman Gift Voucher – Kirsten Nicol, Denman NSW
• IHG Hotels Voucher – Lisa Blundell, Queanbeyan NSW
• Red Balloon Gift Voucher – David Callaghan, Swandoon, QLD
• Dreamworld and White Water World Pass – Paul Bailey, Telarah, NSW
• Roses Only Gift Voucher – Jim McCormack, Thornlands, QLD
• 2012 signed Australian Kangaroos jersey – Kylie Sharp, Queanbeyan
• News Magazines subscription – David Heal, Dee Why, NSW.